Shelly Brown Dobek serves as Director for the Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life.
Shelly serves as a visionary leader and provides overall strategic direction and supervision for the Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life, a unit within Campus Life in the Division of Academic and Student Affairs at NC State University. The Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life consists of over 50 chapters and approximately 3,000 students. The Department has been established for over 100 years and has experienced significant growth over the last 20 years
The Director is responsible for strategic planning, budget development and management oversight for the Department, which includes:
- Staff supervision: Provide staff training and development for two Associate Directors, two Assistant Directors, and one Administrative Support Associate
- Provide fiscal oversight for Department budgets currently in excess of $2.3 million annually, in addition to managing budgets for construction and renovation
- Maintain ongoing communication and collaboration with community stakeholders
- Develop and maintains supportive campus partnerships with campus offices such as the Division of Academic and Student Affairs leadership team, University Advancement, Campus Police, Environmental Health and Safety, Office of Student and Community Standards, etc.
- Work with University Advancement and/or outside consultants in assisting chapters with fundraising efforts
- Serve on University committees or task forces as a department or division representative
As Director, Shelly oversees three functional areas of operation: Chapter Services, Council and Community Development and Greek Village Housing. For questions regarding those functional areas, please connect with staff responsible for those functions.
- Chapter Services is led by Julie Bryant, Associate Director
- Council and Community Development is led by Byron Harris, Assistant Director, and Haleigh Swenfurth, Coordinator
- Greek Village Housing is led by the Associate Director for Living and Learning, currently vacant
Shelly also supervises the Administrative Support Associate, who oversees administrative functions of the Department. Please contact the Administrative Support Associate for any questions regarding:
- Chapter membership rosters
- Accounts payable
- Village Assignments and Billing questions
- Employment Paperwork for Chapter Chefs
- Supervision of student work staff
- Overall office management
To set up an appointment to meet with Shelly please contact the Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life at 919-513-9210.