Service and Assistance Animal Information

Fraternity and Sorority Life strives to comply with section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendments Act of 2008 (ADA), the Fair Housing Act, and other applicable federal and state regulations that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. We are committed to providing equal access to housing for all students living on campus with qualifying disabilities. Fraternity and Sorority Life permits service and assistance animals in all University-Owned facilities in the Greek Village. To qualify for an service or assistance animal, a student must:

  • Register with the Disability Services Office
  • Complete the service/assistance animal request form (link below)
  • Submit all required vaccinations and veterinary records
  • Read, understand, and accept the service / assistance animal Guidelines.
  • Read, understand, and accept NCSU PRR 11.30.07 Service and Assistance Animals in University- Owned Housing Facilities

If the request is approved, Fraternity and Sorority Life will contact the student to review the policies and responsibilities of the animal owner.

If the request is denied, the student may appeal the decision to the Office for Institutional Equity and Diversity. Students will receive notification on how to file an appeal when the decision is made.

Upon approval of the animal, Fraternity and Sorority Life will notify the resident’s roommate and/or suitemates as appropriate, and the appropriate University departments including but not limited to disability services, Campus Police, and Campus Fire Marshall.

Residents with a medical condition or aversion to animals (e.g. allergies, asthma, respiratory conditions, zoophobia, etc.) should contact Fraternity and Sorority Life if living in close proximity to a service / assistance animal.

Fraternity and Sorority Life will make reasonable accommodations when necessary for residents with medical conditions affected by living in close proximity to service/assistance animal as may be required by applicable law.

Service/Assistance Animal Request Form