According to forecasts provided by the National Weather Service there is the potential for wintry precipitation to occur Friday Night through Saturday across sections of central North Carolina. While it’s too early to determine with high certainty the amount of precipitation that will occur, it does appear that areas of snow or a wintry mix of precipitation will occur across our region, with some accumulation possible.
The Greek Village is scheduled to open on Sunday, January 8th at 12:00 noon. We want to encourage residents to make good decisions and be safe as you travel to Raleigh. Fraternity and Sorority Life staff will continue to provide updates and information as it is shared with us, but we also encourage residents to use resources such as the National Weather Forecast Office, Raleigh, NC and the North Carolina Department of Transportation to help inform decisions. Should you not be able to make it back prior to the start of classes (assuming the university is operating) you can work with the University Ombuds office to notify faculty.
Current forecasts from the National Weather Center predict:
- Light snow will begin late Friday evening, possibly beginning as a mix of rain/snow or snow/sleet before changing over to all snow by 2 AM Saturday.
- The heaviest snow is expected to fall between 3 AM and 2 PM Saturday. The snow will end by 5 PM Saturday.
- This area has the best chance to see 3+ inches of snow.
- Very dangerous travel conditions Friday night and Saturday, perhaps even lingering into Saturday night as any melted snow re-freezes.
- Black ice possible Friday night through Sunday morning hours well into early next week.
Based on this information and scheduled arrival of Greek Village live-in staff, the Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life will maintain the opening date of the 8th. Our goal is to limit the number of residents that could be impacted by the storm taking a number of factors into consideration.
- Should we receive snow accumulation, holding until Sunday allows the University to clear the parking lots and treat sidewalks prior to move-in, which should improve conditions on Sunday.
- Greek Village is susceptible to power loss during storms. Previous storms have left one or more of our facilities without power for up to four days. With predicted temperatures in the teens, our buildings would not retain the heat at acceptable conditions, and we would not have enough space in residence halls to relocate all residents (should they still have power).
- Live -in staff for Greek Village are typically graduate students, many of whom travel over break and have booked flights to return on Saturday evening or Sunday morning.
We encourage those residents within a reasonable commute to consider staying in place until Sunday at noon as posted. However, for those folks with longer commutes, we will accept residents as early as Friday morning, 9am. Our privately owned houses in Greek Village are accepting early arrivals on the following schedule: Sigma Nu and Delta Gamma on Friday at noon, and Kappa Delta on Friday at 9am. If you plan to arrive early, please plan to arrive prior to 4pm when the precipitation is supposed to begin. We strongly discourage any arrivals Friday night or on Saturday due to potentially hazardous road conditions. If you plan to arrive early, please complete this early arrival request form so we can anticipate your arrival.
For conditions across the rest of North Carolina visit:
Northeast NC: http://weather.gov/akq
Eastern NC: http://weather.gov/mhx
Southeast NC: http://weather.gov/ilm
Central NC: http://weather.gov/rah
Northwest NC (& mountains): http://weather.gov/rnk
Southwest NC (& mountains): http://weather.gov/gsp
Cherokee and Clay Counties: http://weather.gov/mrx